Friday 22 April 2011

Bad Luck

Some days I have colossally bad luck.

Today was no exception. 

I went out to the farm today, and stopped in at my fav fast food joint after about an hour of driving. 



And who do I run into? The guy that's broken my heart ohhh.... let's say.... a billion times. And I wish I could tell you he came in looking something like this.


But no. With my luck he waltzes in with his brand new uniform, looking polished, professional.... and damn.... I think I've mentioned my thing for uniforms....(here)

He tried to hug me, I shoved him off......annnnddd cried silently in the car for the rest of the drive.





So I get to the farm, ready to test drive the new horse (an ex race horse now to be used for breeding). I brush her down, and she's really sweet. She even let my clean her hooves and waited patiently to be tacked up.

Then we got the saddle on her....

But after a few rounds on the lunge line she settled down and was just peachy.


I mounted up and rode her down the corn field, and we came to a small ditch, only an inch or two wide. 

 She stopped.

She snorted.

She sniffed.

She tried to turn around.


I held her in place.



Then, it's almost like she suddenly realized her donkey lineage.... or she decided to be an ass. 




 And then.....




 I held on for dear life, deeply regretting not bringing my helmet. I calmed her down and walked back to the barn.
 She was fine. I continued to ride her for an hour, even moving up to a trot with no negative consequences. So I moved it up a notch.

Cantering.

She went fine on a short stretch of lane leading away from the barn. But when I turned her around to show off.....

Turns out she snapped her bridle, and pulling on the bit had become futile. She charged to the barn like the racehorse she was bred to be. 

I managed to get her cornered and she came to a dead halt. We fixed up the bridle, and, still shaking, I took her for a cool-down walk. Down the corn field. Back to the ditch.


This time I held her there, gently urging her forward, quietly calming her.









It was a repeat of the first time, except my reins snapped. 

She tried to bolt to the barn again, and I held on doggedly to the remaining rein, turning her in a tight circle.

When she calmed down enough to halt, I threaded the broken leather strap through the bit then quietly slipped out of the saddle.

"We are WALKING home" I said to her. 

Can't wait to ride her again though.

If I can still walk tomorrow, that is.




AND the reader of the week is Len, who read Internet this week and totally helped me solve my computer problems! Thanks Len! :D

1 comment:

  1. So... I'm pretty sure that horse is bipolar. Or just likes fucking with us puny humans

    ReplyDelete